Monday, August 22, 2011

Mrs. Winthrop Awakes!



The portrait of Mrs. Winthrop by John Copley was recently analyzed in our sister blog on July 31, 2011.  I found myself reading and rereading Hallie's post - as she mentioned, the painter has truly captured Mrs. Winthrop's poise and confidence as a women of means at age 46.

Her silk gown is gorgeous - yet a little understated - I cannot wait to pin down the exact color - in my online search the blue has ranged from deep true blue to greyish blue. Her gauze cap and ribbons, and lace-trimmed handkerchief and sleeve ruffles will require time to replicate, but I believe that I can come close.

The most difficult aspect of Mrs. Winthrop, I believe, will be her calm, secure, *dignified* bearing.  She is the daughter of an excellent family, and is the second wife of a member of one of Massachusetts Bay Founding Families.  I am intrigued to learn more about her...


No comments:

Post a Comment