So I removed the green linen...
...and choose Burnley & Trowbirdge's cinnamon camlet. It's a more appropriate weight (the green linen was a little sheer) and a more appropriate color.
I attached the new fashion fabric...
...and whip stitched the panels together.
I then bought an awl and marked where each eyelet should go.
Punching the eyelet holes was much easier than I had antiticapted thanks to my new tool. (Which much be the best $6 I ever spent!)
For making the eyelets, I basically had to make two eyelets for each hole--one on the front and one inside.
I then added a scrap of printed cotton on the center front (to create a little cushion for comfort)...
...and laced them up with some cotton tape.
The shape of this pair of stays was rather boxy. I bent the pasteboard so it would better reflect a rounded body shape and would be more of a natural fit for Miss Hancock.
Up next - my little one will model her first pair of stays!